0 DIRTY CAR ART GALLERY by SCOTT WADE

Artist and painter Scott Wade from his native Texas, USA,  produces his art in a very unusual way - with dust!  Dust on dirty cars to be exact. Using the rear windows of... well, dirty cars as his canvas, Scott creates stunning detail scenes and images.

The formally trained artist typically employs the surfaces of cars belonging to he and his wife, though he often creates intricate works of art from the grime covering the vehicles belonging to strangers. 

Wade has developed a portfolio which features recreations of famous pieces including works such as Johan Vermeer's 'Girl with a Pearl Earring', Leonardo da Vinci's 'Mona Lisa', in addition to portraits of contemporary popular figures such as footballer Ronaldinho Gaúcho.



Mona Lisa/Starry Night 




This image featuring Leonardo's "Mona Lisa" with Vincent Van Gogh's "Starry Night" is shown at its peak. These images drawn in the dust are obviously quite impermanent. One of the cool things about them is how they change over time. More dust accumulates as the car is driven down the road. Early morning dew streaks and dots the image, creating a patina. A light shower creates a deeper patina... Photo Credit: Scott Wade






Each elaborate piece is composed within the glass space framed by the body of the car using an assortment of paint brushes in combination with his hands. One painting may take the artist anywhere from forty minutes to four hours. scott wade's canvas is wiped clean by rain or a slow degradation over time, leaving a fresh space for the artist to begin anew. 



Girl With A Pearl Earring




Felt a little bold taking on a Vermeer (not sure why I had no qualms about Da Vinci or Van Gogh), but I couldn't resist "Girl With A Pearl Earring." This one was tricky. I did it over a previous drawing that had been rained on. There were places where the dust had been caked on, and it didn't brush off evenly at all. I had to kind of stab the clods with a bristle brush to break it up enough to get some intermediate tones. That's what gives this one a sort of stipple effect. Photo Credit: Robin Wood




I use visual references when I'm copying others' work, or for instance the wildlife collage. The cartoony stuff comes outta my head. Robin's cookbook holder sure comes in handy; thanks, Robin! Photo Credit: Robin Wood





From the Inside | Jules took this one from inside, and I really think this is interesting. You can see the parts that were caked on by rain, and the tones and line work look so different from the inside. Photo Credit: Jules Alexander







Uncle Albert





Saw Uncle Albert on the cover of a magazine and thought he might appreciate the relativity of dirty car art...Photo Credit: Scott Wade



Uncle Albert (with paw print)




My cat, Squeek wanted to express himself on Albert's forehead. I had walked out one morning to finish this piece, and found Squeek had beat me to it. Now, if a cat can do it, what are you waiting for? Dirty Car Art is for everyone. Photo Credit: Scott Wade






Wild Flowers






I was asked to demonstrate Dirty Car Art at the Courtyard Gallery in Robin's hometown of Cuero, Texas. Meanwhile, a TV crew from South Korea was following me around making a short documentary. They followed me down to Cuero and we had a pretty full weekend. Cuero (and Dewitt County) is known for wildflowers, so I thought it would be great to try some in dust. Wish I had done fewer, bigger. The vehicle belongs to my mother-in-law. Guarantee that's the dirtiest It's ever been. Photo Credit: Robin Wood





The Nag





Many (especially the women) don't care for this one. We won't go into why that may be, but I present it here because it was the first peice I did and photographed that demonstrates the emerging techniques of Dirty Car Art. Personally, I think it's funny. Disclaimer: My sweet wife Robin is not, and never has been a nag! Photo Credit: Scott Wade



Happy Holidays




Guess I did this one in December...Some of these early pieces were done very quickly, just really getting used to the medium. Photo Credit: Scott Wade




Trapped

We thought this one by Scott was especially great as it not only gives the viewer the sense of a child really being 'trapped' but we liked the fact that Scott took it one step further by showing himself turning to look from the front seat!  Cool!






Ronaldinho Gaúcho


When Brazil's TV Globo asked to do a piece for their show, Fantastico," I wondered what image would be recognized and appreciated by their viewers.I figured I couldn't go wrong with soccer (football in every other country in the world), and who better to use as my subject than the great Ronaldinho Gaúcho. I received many wonderful emails from Brazil. There's apparently something about dirty car art that strikes a chord with many Brazilians. I hope they enjoy this piece. Photo Credit: Scott Wade












On the Road | Windshield


The Atlanta Arts Festival was a lot of fun. I did an unusual piece suggested to me by my collegue, John McDavitt, featuring a family on vacation in their car, as seen from all sides. A family we're friends with kindly posed for the reference photos - Thanks Rick, Heather Austin & Haley!. This is the first time I've worked on a windshield. My back still hurts to think about it. Photo Credit: Robin Wood



On the Road: Driver's Side | Photo Credit: Robin Wood




On the Road: Passenger's Side | Photo Credit: Robin Wood




On the Road: Rear Window | Photo Credit: Robin Wood






Horror!


 Scott & Frankie | I was invited to make an appearance at Maker Faire, in Austin, Texas. It was close to Halloween, so I decided to do an homage to horror film classics. Photo Credit: Robin Wood



 back | Photo Credit: Robin Wood






Scott & Wolfie | Photo Credit: Robin Wood




Poking Wolkfie in the Eye | Photo Credit: Robin Wood




Wolfie & his Mummy | Photo Credit: Robin Wood




Vincent & Peter | Photo Credit: Robin Wood





Two Thumbs Up



Jules got a call to do some portraits of me for some media stuff. My first-ever dust miniatures. Very silly, but you didn't really think of me as a "serious artist," did you? Photo credit: Jules Alexander




Videos







Via | Via


No comments:

Post a Comment